Sunday, January 16, 2011

Well, Hello

Welcome. Is a welcome only a greeting if someone acknowledges it? Let's not get philosophical.
Hi. This is "A Silent Youth", a blog about people, culture, subcultures, art, music, technology... every-bloody-thing under the sun! If you're wondering who, pray tell, is writing this - this is "S."

I'm an Australian girl who has just finished her HSC. Just a few months out from my eighteenth year on this planet, I'd care to think I've lived a relatively average life in the suburbs (though, suburban life is admittedly sordid). I'm embarking upon university this year I'm taking a gap year (work, learn French and hopefully travel), which is bound to kick-start the sense of adventure in my life... so why blog? I don't want to diarise, I want to communicate. I want to expose my opinions, without angst but with genuine human emotion that transcends the tacky teen mind. Legit.

You may wonder why this blog / word-vomit processor is deemed "A Silent Youth". Ah, my first social observation... The name is based on the idea that today's communication is highly digitised, lacking sound. I don't have to tell you what I mean, as no doubt social networking tools such as Facebook, Twitter, text messaging and various IM services have popped into your head. The "Youth" bit simply acknowledges my peers willingness to accept these technologies, and inevitably my own. We are becoming A Silent Youth.

In fact, we are becoming a silent society. Both young and old are adapting to a world where we are gradually seeing less of one another in the flesh, but friends - and foes - have the ability to exchange information almost instantly, impersonally. Everything can be edited before sent, or deleted. Everything can be expressed without the fear of immediate physical consequences. (And they thought the telephone would be the death of civilised conversation!)

Of course there are as many benefits as there are negatives to digital communication. I am not condemning it, I'm merely acknowledging that it exists. If I were denouncing these things, a blog would be a hypocritical means of doing so.

Remember that in A Silent Youth, I am not being heard. I am not speaking. You are reading what I would say to you.

-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment