Sunday, January 16, 2011

The "New" Zodiac?



From Gemini to Taurus and back again!

Over the past few days there's been a grand old wave of hysteria about astrological affairs. The Earth's "wobble" has realigned the constellations so that they no longer occur where they used to in relation to time. Plus, there's a new 13th sign to complicate your life. How do I know about this? Good old Facebook...

Countless of my friends are posting "But I liked being a Leo!" or, "I don't want to be an Aquarius." There's this crazy element of panic. Honestly, you'd think the sky was falling and / or the world had split in half to reveal an unnavigable ocean of magma. How can something that has been in place for a thousand years cause such a stir? It's nothing to do with the Earth's strange movement or the fact we've been supposedly been lied to since birth. It's the sense of mistaken identity.

I "used to be" a Gemini. I am now a Taurean, no bull! Ha. I was born right on the cusp of the two signs, so I've had traits of both signs - as talkative as a Gemini, stubborn as a Taurus. Does it bother me to have my Gemini status revoked? Maybe a little. Maybe a whole lot. It's as complex as waking up Australian one day and then discovering yourself a "fush and chups" eater from across the Tasman (though, I'm a vegan so I'd say it, not eat it) the following morning. If you don't get the analogy, simply substitute nation X and Y rival country then insert accent parody, eg: England / Ireland, USA / Canada, etc.

There's a backlash starting, naming the new wave of astrologers who amend the dates as a hoax due to the study not being based solely on the constellations. And, naturally, there's a backlash from no-fun skeptics who are having an "I told you so" extravaganza.

Maybe it's that tiny bit of stubborn Taurus in me clinging on to need for the Gemini label. Ironic, much? I guess, as long as I haven't got my sign tattooed on me I'm adaptable. I am autonomous of the stars, no flecks of light in a galaxy far away can tell me who I am! I've got to keep telling myself that, anyway.

- s.

2 comments:

  1. Ha. Follow a Chinese calender, much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 365-ish days in a sign for Chinese zodiac, 30-odd for the Western. Definitely easier :)

    ReplyDelete