Monday, January 24, 2011

UAC Blues

University offers, or lack of them, can make or break a person's future. I should know. Last week, the UAC (Universities Admission Centre) released offers for the Main Round. THIS was the occasion when I realised how big of a mistake I'd made when it came to my tertiary education - initially, at least.

Tossing up whether or not to change my preferences for a Bachelor of Communication at Newy from number two, to number one, I'd reckoned that as the UAC considers "all preferences" for the Main Round I'd just leave it be. I mean, nothing was set in stone as to what I really wanted to do, where I wanted to study. I could always change my mind. Stupid girl.

What I failed to comprehend was that all preferences are considered after a prior offer is rejected. If #1 degree at *blank* institution is brutally turned down, then #2 is brought to the table for judgement, and so on. Stupid girl - although, I asked a few friends and they thought this was the case too. But they got into their #1's that they actually wanted, so the "stupid" tag remains.

I kept listed a Bachelor of Writing at Canberra as number one, and with an ATAR cut off of 65.00 out of a possible 99.95, my ample 88.30 made me a more than likely contender. Stupid, stupid, stupid girl (with a decent ATAR, mind you).

On that fateful night, at 9pm I accessed the UAC website with the jitters, eager to see any offers sent my way. It was almost as nerve-wracking as getting my HSC results. I was horrified to see one, just a single offer from the University of Canberra. I realised how silly I'd been understanding the application process. More painfully, in that very moment I realised I'd give an arm and a leg to have it say B of Comn at University of Newcastle (81.60 ATAR cut off, so I'd have gotten in).

Weeping Undergraduate, not quite as cool as Picasso's Weeping Woman.

Devastated, I told my Mum and then had a complete and utter nervous break down a la Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons. I must have cried for about a half an hour, and let me tell you - I don't break down easily. I'm more prone to anger than anguish. What set me off was that I hadn't been rejected, but I hadn't even been considered because of my own foolishness.

After I'd calmed down (approx. 18 hours later), Newy Uni had an advisory day and I discovered the unfortunate truth. B Comn, unlike several other courses, would not be making offers in the two subsequent rounds before first semester began. They wouldn't be taking mid-year applications, either. I was told to cross over from a Bachelor of Arts after a year, like most people. Bachelor of Arts? No thanks.

Four factors for a thumbs up Gap Year! Ha.

I went home and moped. What to do? I humoured downing a whole packet of Panadol (total over-reaction, I know) but remembered I was seeing friends in a couple days and didn't want to rock up as a Ghost. What to do? I was struck with the most obvious answer: take a gap year! A gap year, a sure fire way to get some money, life experience and forget about study for 12 months.

Before doing anything for certain, I interrogated UAC phone operator Jamie (poor bloke) about fluctuations in my ATAR, the February and final offer rounds, and accepting offers. Taking all info into account, I went online today to defer my B of Writing at Canberra (just in case I change my mind again, a place is a place), and decided on re-applying to the UAC next year with a B Comn listed right at the top.

So... Hurrah for optimism! Hurrah for gap years!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. The B. Arts just means you're in the degree program. It means you can do (as far as I know) all the communications electives/courses that the B. Comms kiddies do, just with a different degree place holder.

    However I think a GAP year is a good thing. Especially if you're uncertain about things or unhappy with your original offers.

    UAC needs to be more clear cut with their FAQ i think. When I was a HSC goat, I was told to put highest UAI/ATAR course first - or something. Heh.

    Have a good solid GAP year. Live. Love. Work. Travel. ^_^

    ReplyDelete