Friday, January 28, 2011

Work, Please

I am in desperate need of a job and have been looking since just before my graduation. I'm running low on money, and getting my licence in the last couple of months has drained my bank account significantly. Yep, I can still hear the money going down the plug-hole as I type. Glug, glug, glug. Anyway, I've had three unsuccessful job interviews since September. Three. Count them - three, three!
  1. For a Junior Agent position at a real estate joint, in the last couple days of school.
  2. Another as a Junior Admin / Run-about for a law firm, sought after my exams, which dragged me away from my Schoolies trip for a day and a half.
  3. and, third time unlucky, a tedious retail job at a clothes store (sheer desperation - I hate retail).
In February last year, I visited the clairvoyant (psychic) my family receives readings off. She doesn't know we're all related, she doesn't ask for any information whilst you're in with her, and yes, she is the real deal. I won't go into any details, but lots of things she's explicitly told my aunties and mum have come true, as have two things she's disclosed to me. One thing I thought she wasn't so dead-on about though was my employment forecast.

 
I'll answer phones, I'll write notes. Anything. Work please!


The clairvoyant told me I'd never have any problem getting a job, because of how I spoke, how I presented myself etc. I believed her. Three job interviews later, I struggled to believe her and was bashing myself up over what was wrong with me. But then I thought about it a bit more...
  • Job interview #1: I got into the office and couldn't see myself lying away to people about properties.
  • #2: I was put off by all the driving I'd have to do. I'm not a confident driver, especially where parking is concerned, so it was a very daunting prospect. Plus the wage was crap.
  • #3: It was close to home, that was the only thing the job had going for it. I hate retail. I hate it. I also hated the fact that because of its black-out period over Christmas, I probably couldn't see my dad.

That's why I sucked in the interviews (or at least, I'll tell myself that, thank you!). I wasn't confident because I didn't want to work there, but I didn't necessarily want to say to them "Nah, it sounds like a shit gig. I'd rather be selling sea shells by the sea shore," either. So I strung myself along, thinking they'd be dying at my feet to get a hold of me after what the clairvoyant said. Nuh-uh.
 
Yesterday, I had a job interview for a Junior Admin position at a marketing company. I think it went really well, which is a total contrast from my last three. I actually walked out with a smile on my face! I'm hoping I get it - my prospective boss was friendly, it's a creative environment, the location's a not-too-bad distance from home and the duties sound to be quite good.

I've been throwing out positive vibes to the universe non-stop, and next Friday will be when it throws something back to me (phone call regarding a trial day, if when successful). In fact, I've gotten so excited about it that I have designed a budget from the minimum wage I can receive in that line of work, so I can save up to travel. Yay!

Dear cosmic powers, if you can sense what I'm writing... don't let me down this time!

2 comments:

  1. Hello cosmic powers of the Universe. Please allow S. the means to obtain this job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Llama :) The more cosmic stuff sent out, the likely it will go in my favour haha

    ReplyDelete